Blog Archive

Search This Blog

Tuesday 15 June 2010

review of Byzantium, Kings Heath

Kings Heath has fast become one of Birmingham's cultural hot spots and it is now at least twice a week that im sprawling its streets for new cafes to spend my lunch money in. Byzantium is a small tapas restraunt located on the York Road. It's relatively small, ultimately cute and decorated in an attractive euro-style. Though It took me nearly 8 months to grace its doors I am super happy that I did, it was totally yummy and I will be going again very soon.

It wouldn't really be proper if we hadn't started with an order of flat-bread with a selection of dips though when doing so i'm always wrapped with apprehension. Many is the time that I have been faced with a slightly stale, overly doughy looking thing of a food which instead of melting in your mouth full of flavour, has seemed to grow and expand under every chew. Though all this worrying was unnecessary as the flat-bread at Byzantium was fresh, thin, coated in oil all over and topped with a chilli. Quickly the table ripped and stretched the 3 discs of bread and it disappeared down to nothing; with the dip still hanging from my grin I quickly ordered another for the mains.

The mains were humble, at worst you could say a little conservative in flavour but they remained well seasoned, balanced dishes. The simple cooking is transformed into something wholly delicate and intelligent by Byzantium's attempt at delivering diverse, multi-layered food. The stuffed mushrooms sat handsomely in their dish surrounded by a rich mixture of peppers, tomato and a delicious creamy sauce. The squid was curling over itself and when you ate it, it was perfectly crisp on the outside and soft and tender on the inside. What I thought to be a bowl of ordinary potatoes quickly found themselves mixed with the sauce of the prawns to create a wonderful garlic infused, crunchy delight. As I spooned each dish into my mouth my face would lift into life with the surprise of the gorgeous flavours hitting my tongue. Disbelief was still twitching on my lips as a I greedily forked through yet another dish.

Everything looked fresh, tasty and simple and though that perfectly sums up my overal experience of Byzantium I wouldnt want to end there. The cooking was marvellous and no dish went down with disappointment. I can certainly recommend this restraunt to anyone who fancies a small bite, larger meal or tapas experience in Birmingham.

No comments:

Post a Comment